CAUTION: Common Household Item Actually Dangerous For Your Pets


412

Many items that seem harmless to us humans can be toxic to animals. Chocolate and avocados are just two food items that bring harm to several different species. Then, there are different types of plants that can also be toxic to animals. For this owner, she found out the hard way that one seemingly harmless house object could hurt her pet.

 

Facebook/Maddie Smith

Maddie Smith noticed that her cat Ruby was acting strange. Ruby was holding her head in an odd position. This is something that she never did before. “We initially thought this was just because she was so cold,” Smith posted on Facebook. “So we got her nice and toasty and left for work as usual,” she wrote.

 

When Smith returned from work, Ruby had taken a turn for the worse. She rushed her to the vet. “The vets were extremely concerned for her and could see she definitely had neurological problems because she simply could not walk properly, could not hear or see, couldn’t even eat or drink properly because she couldn’t function [with] her tongue,” Smith wrote on Facebook. “Her basic senses and abilities GONE in 12 hours. She was so helpless.”

 

Facebook/Maddie Smith

The Vets Were Perplexed

 

Test results showed extremely high levels of sodium chloride were in Ruby’s body. No one could figure out why this was happening. Smith explained that there had been no dietary change at all for Ruby. Then Smith remembered that Ruby had been interested in the salt lamp in their lounge. Ruby was licking the lamp, which resulted in toxic levels of sodium. This caused her brain to swell, which resulted in neurological problems.

 

Facebook/First Vets

The veterinarians quickly worked to get the salt out of Ruby’s body with the help of IVs and potassium supplements. Thankfully, their quick work helped to save Ruby. First Vets hoped to educate the public about household hazards by posting on Facebook. They wrote, “Ruby’s case simply highlights … that for dogs and cats, sometimes the most innocuous sources of sodium chloride can cause issues if the particular animal is drawn to it. Another good example is when dogs ingest homemade playdough in large enough quantities for a toxic dose of sodium chloride to be reached for the particular dog’s size.”

 

Facebook/First Vets
And as for that salt lamp…Maddie got rid of it so that Ruby is not tempted anymore.

Leave your vote

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%


Like it? Share with your friends!

412

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hey there!

Sign in

Forgot password?
Close
of

Processing files…

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This