Since they saved the life of a 9-week-old puppy, these officers in Massachusetts received lots of attention for their deed.
On a Saturday afternoon, Megan Vitale rushed into the police station. When she stormed in, she pleaded for immediate help. She screamed that her Saint Bernard pup Bodhi started choking on his food.
When officers arrived at the pup, they saw he was not breathing. He seemed limp and unresponsive.
When officers came around the corner, they found the puppy was not breathing and “limp and unresponsive.”
“He seemed just kind of limp basically, and had a lot of foam in his mouth,” Officer Jorge Hernandez recalled,“I put the dog down on the floor and I mean my whole hands pretty much wrapped around him and I just started kind of pumping away at his chest.”
Joined by the North Reading firefighters, they performed back blows and compressions until the object dislodged. In the video, you can see the emergency crew working to save Bodhi with a distraught Vitale in the background.
Eventually, authorities revived Bodhi and gave him oxygen.
“Ultimately, a life was saved thanks to rescuers falling back on their training and remaining calm. Even though we are not faced with this kind of incident every day, the officers reacted just as they would in any emergency situation,” Chief Michael P. Murphy stated, “We are hopeful that the puppy will make a full recovery.”
Fire officials said they used a special mask designed for pets, and have received specialized training in the recent years in how to respond to emergencies involving pets.
“Many of our firefighters have pets at home in their own families,” Fire Chief Don Stats said. “We do not get to choose the emergency situation that comes our way, so it is important that first responders be prepared for anything.”
Watch the video below to see the full rescue of sweet Bodhi!
Total votes: 2
Upvotes percentage: 100.000000%
Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%