Mortimer, a much loved Bull Dog started having stomach issues in April. His human mom took him to the vet. She received medicine for Mortimer. Things got better for a while but then a shocking discovery was made. Let’s take a look at what happened.
“At the time he was diagnosed with an unrelated vomiting syndrome that we hoped would get better with medicine,” Mortimer’s mom, Emily Shanahan explained.
Dr. Doug Brum of MSPCA Angell, Mortimer’s vet thought that the medicine would clear up any issues he had. But sadly the medication only helped for a short time. By mid-May, Mortimer was sick again. But this time he was much worse. He stopped following his mom around and spent days sleeping. Then in early June, Mortimer stopped eating. His mom knew something was wrong. She rushed him into the vet clinic.
The X-rays Held The Clue To Mortimer’s Distress
X-rays revealed something that shocked everyone. Mortimer had eaten 19 baby pacifiers. Since they were undigestible, Mortimer had all 19 of them in his stomach. The pacifiers were now blocking his digestive system.
“I was shocked because even though I have two small children at home I’d never imagined he was eating their pacifiers,” Shanahan said.
Mortimer must have been taking the pacifiers one at a time over a long period of time. He was very subtle about it. In fact, no one noticed nor had a clue he was eating them. The veterinary team led by Dr. Erika De Papp scheduled him for surgery immediately. Thankfully she was able to remove all 19 of the pacifiers from his body.
“It’s likely that Mortimer started nabbing these pacifiers in April, perhaps one at a time, and that started a cycle of nausea and vomiting, which are symptoms that can be caused by so many other health issues,” Dr. Brum explained in a press release. “If not for the urgency with which his family pursued veterinary care, things would have gotten much worse for him.”
“We absolutely love this dog and would do anything for him — and I’m relieved that this was a problem that could be solved,” Shanahan said. And as for the pacifiers, the family will keep them out of reach from now on.