Old houses creak and groan a lot, but no one expects the noises to be anything other than the house settling.
Bob and his wife Linda thought that this was the case with the sounds in their house. However, several years passed, and Bob began to suspect that something else was happening. He had heard of people getting rat infestations in their homes in the area. Bob decided to investigate.
He took the stairs up to the attic and opened the door. In the attic, he found a large tunnel had been made in his insulation, but what had done it? He couldn’t guess what would have made a tunnel like that. It was obvious it wasn’t bees or mice or rats, at least.
It Wasn’t What He Thought
He peered into the gap, and something moved. He finally saw what was causing so much noise in his home.
It was a LARGE snake.
Bob called the Sarasota Animal Control immediately. He hoped that they would be able to help with the newfound problem. Further, he hoped they had the experience and tools to handle this kind of issue!
Two officers arrived with catch poles. They went through the house and returned to Bob with bad news.
The snake was, in fact, a rather venomous diamondback rattlesnake. Even worse, the snake had worked its way so deep into the walls that they were unable to get to it.
Time To Call In The Big Guns
You don’t expect animal control not to be able to help, but luckily, Bob had an alternate plan to work with. His friend, Mark Lampart, typically deals with dangerous animals, including large ones like sharks, which are nothing to sneeze at.
Bob decided to call on Mark to help with the situation, and Mark happily agreed to see what he could do.
Mark did his own searching. He found a snakeskin that was two-feet long, which at least further confirmed the presence of the snake. Mark found out, just as Animal Control had, that the snake was going to be hard to reach.
He peeled away at the layers of insulation until he was able to get his hands in and grab the snake.
However, it was not a diamondback rattlesnake. It was even bigger than that and deadly in its own way –it was a Columbian red-tailed boa constrictor! It’s not a venomous breed, but true to its name, it can kill you if it’s allowed to wrap around you.
Mark ran the snake outside, and Bob and Linda watched on the sidelines in shock. They asked how a boa constrictor would have gotten into their home at all. Mark explained to them that this type of snake is a tree-climber. It could have likely come in through the roof.
Bob and Linda likely won’t forget this anytime soon. It’s a good lesson to not take the sounds in your home for granted!
Total votes: 98
Upvotes percentage: 56.122449%
Downvotes percentage: 43.877551%